How I Started in Whiskey: Jack Daniel’s Old №7 Review

 

How I Started in Whiskey: Jack Daniel’s Old №7 Review

I never was a hard liquor kind of guy in my younger years. I might’ve had the occasional drink but hadn’t found anything I really enjoyed. My go-to at the bar was always a beer.

So, how did I end up getting into whiskey and starting this blog?

Well, one evening when I was out with friends, I decided to try something different. Maybe it was because I’d seen it in a film and thought it was cool. Maybe it was some other subconscious reason, but when I went to the bar that evening, I ordered a “Jack”, neat.

I tasted it then and to my surprise, it wasn’t the burn-fest I was expecting. It was “smooth” (the most overused word to describe whisky, by the way), warm, and sweet. It was actually good!

I can’t say it was an instant revelation. That drink didn’t turn me into the whiskey nerd I am today. But from then on Jack Daniel’s Old №7 became my drink of choice.

Over the next few years, I started learning a bit more about the different types of whisk(e)y, I started exploring a few different bourbons. Eventually, I tried Irish whiskey, I ventured into the fascinating world of scotch, and that was that. I had found a new hobby.

What started it all, though, was that tumbler full of Jack. So, I find it fitting that this would be the first review on Whisk(e)y & Life. It would be particularly interesting for me because actually, I haven’t had the Old №7 for a couple of years now.

But before we taste this, let’s find out a bit more about the brand.


***

This bottle’s label proudly tells you that it was produced in Lynchburg, Tennessee, by “the oldest registered distillery in the USA” and that Jack Daniel’s stands for “quality and craftsmanship since 1866”.

Although 1866 was the year when Jasper Newton “Jack” Daniel registered his distillery, the business wasn’t officially established until 1875.

Today, the company continues to run from Lynchburg, but the brand is now under the umbrella of spirits and wine conglomerate Brown-Forman.

The advantages of being owned by a big corporate international are obvious. For one, Brown-Forman has ensured Jack Daniel’s has exceptional brand marketing. And of course, the worldwide distribution of Jack Daniel’s is unparalleled.

The major disadvantage, especially for whiskey enthusiasts, is that this whiskey is produced at an industrial scale. It is estimated that Jack Daniel’s churns out over 120 million bottles a year. Making this much whiskey in huge batches inevitably affects the final outcome. This is a highly standardised product, similar to something like Coca-Cola.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing. You just have to manage your expectations when sampling a bottle like this.

***

Production Process:

The mash bill (recipe) for this particular whiskey consists of 3 grains: 80 per cent corn, 12 per cent rye, and 8 per cent malted barley. Once fermentation finishes, the mixture is distilled in copper stills.

Essentially, this is produced in much the same way as a standard American Bourbon. To be called a Bourbon, a whiskey must cover a number of criteria, the three most important of which are:

  • It has to be at least 51 per cent corn;
  • It has to be made in the USA;
  • It has to be aged in new charred oak barrels.

Jack Daniel’s covers all that, but the producers insist on calling it “Tennessee Whiskey”. Why?

Well, there is one additional step in the production process: the so-called Lincoln County Process.

Once the new whiskey is taken from the stills, they run it through a few layers of sugar maple charcoal. This filtration process is said to remove the impurities and “mellow” the whiskey. And that’s what distinguishes Tennessee Whiskey from Bourbon.

If you ask me, calling Jack Daniel’s “Tennessee Whiskey” is just a brilliant marketing move. I suspect charcoal filtering doesn’t make that much of a difference as far as the taste is concerned. But I would have to conduct a scientific experiment at the Jack Daniel’s distillery to be sure… Maybe someday?

But for now, let’s actually see what this whiskey is all about.

***

Tasting Notes:


Nose:

The first impression is that this is a very, very young spirit. The alcohol note is the first one to jump out from the glass. I would associate that with something like a faint acetone nail polish remover type of smell. Once you get past the spirit punch, strong banana notes appear, followed by vanilla and caramel sweetness. This is very sweet, it has a distinct gummy bear candy note that sort of lingers together with the banana.

Taste:

The arrival is very soft - a stark difference from the initial alcoholic punch on the nose. Of course, this being 40% ABV, you wouldn't exactly expect fireworks. There is an overwhelming corn syrup sweetness, combined with a vanilla custard/creme brulee flavour. There is also a slight nutty flavour, which reminds me of cashews. The oaky spiciness appears at the back of the palate.

Finish:

Short and thin is the best I can describe the finish on this. It disappears very quickly. Slight oak spice remains and there is a distinct bitter aftertaste.

Conclusion and Mark:

This is a very young whiskey. The legal ageing time for something like a straight bourbon is two years. I would be very surprised if this is much older than that. Three to four years would be my guess.

Though it is pleasant and mild, this feels like a mass-produced whiskey. The quality of the spirit and the consistency bottle-to-bottled is definitely there. However, there isn't much in the way of interest or complexity. This is a very one-dimensional whiskey. I wouldn’t really drink this neat anymore.

Having said that, the Old №7 serves its purpose really well. It’s an approachable whiskey with mass appeal and it’s also a great cocktail mixer.

Mark: 65/100


***

Final thoughts:

Coming back to this a few years into my whiskey journey, I have to say, that I am a bit underwhelmed. It definitely is far from what I remember. This isn't to say anything about the quality of the whiskey. It has more to do with me gaining experience and my preferences changing over time.

Would I buy a bottle of this again? Not really… Maybe if I was making cocktails.

Would I buy it at the bar? Yeah, sure! If I wanted an easy drinker mixed with a bit of nostalgia, this would be an excellent choice.

Коментари

Популярни публикации от този блог

Tamnavulin Sherry Cask Edition Review

Capturing Memories with Flavour: Ballantine’s Finest Review